Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Afghan Coat

This OOP Mccalls Pattern uses 2 afghans to make a coat... and I just happened to have 2 afghans I was getting ready to throw in the 'go to Goodwill' box. I'm so glad I didn't!
I got the pattern at Goodwill for a dollar, the afghans for $10 a piece about 2 yrs ago.. so I feel like I got a heck of a deal with this coat...

Plus its just so cute... and warm! The pattern was SO easy! I serged each piece after I cut it out so it wouldn't fray. The hardest part was sewing these 2 thick layers together.
I used a denim needle after I broke a regular one and had no more problems.

I also added a loop and large button for a closure on the front.
Next time a find a cute afghan I would like to make the skirt in the pattern too... wouldn't that be awesome for a winter skirt!


7 comments:

mitch1066 said...

what a deal!!Looks amazing!

Corvus said...

Ooo, I like it! Of course, I do have an unreasonable bias towards tigers, so you may not want to trust my opinion... but ooo!

Cheryl said...

Angie,
Is there anything you can't do? lol!

hugs
Cheryl

Faye Lewis said...

MMMMMMMMMM I really like that. I know it is super warm. Now you are going to have me looking around for an afgan.

DonnaSews said...

Oh it is stunning. It look's perfect on you!!

Julia said...

I am also a seamstress. I have just started a blog. I am actually the mother of one of Kembree's friends. I hope you don't mind that I have been looking at your blog. I have really enjoyed seeing all of your creations. My blog is juliassewsweetandspecial.blogspot.com
Again I hope you don't mind me looking at your blog. I would love to be in contact with other seamstresses. Since I'm also a grandmother and a teacher, I would be interested in being in contact with others with similar interests. Julia Reedy

Cennetta said...

Beautiful!