Saturday, January 10, 2009

One goal down

On this long road trip to Orlando from TN.... I set my mind to learning how to crochet. I have been trying for months to "get it".... I even took a class, had a friend show me how... and nothing! But just look at me now!!! whoo!!!!
I'm so excited! I have wanted to crochet for a long time. I can knit alittle... but knitting takes forever and for some reason I don't like working with knitting needles. However I seriously love working with the hook! The Bald Man says I'm obsessed. He just doesn't understand how bad I have wanted to be able to do this and couldn't get it... now that I've got it...

Well, I have already made another large round dishcloth AND I'm half way done with a scarf...
using one of those awesome mesh stitches!!
To those of you out there who have already conquered this wonderful needle art please tell me your favorite crochet books, website and anything else that would be helpful for a beginner. You can email me or just comment. I would appreciate it so much!
I'll post my scarf asap!

9 comments:

Becky said...

One of my closest friends tried to teach me to crochet once. I've tried both that and knitting, and neither one really clicked with me (I find it difficult to enjoy highly repetitive crafts, and can generally only handle short-term ones like stringing a necklace!) I did find it more enjoyable than knitting, but am still far more inclined to stick to my fabric, paper and beads. (So I guess I can't really help you on the hooks and stuff!

What you've made so far looks good-- congrats on getting it!

Sheila said...

Congrats! you have definitely got the hang of crocheting. I am so impressed with the black lace, now you are seriously working that hook.

My favorite magazines are Crochet!, Crochet Today, Crochet Interweave and also check out Fabulous & Flirty Crochet by Katherine Lee and The New Crochet by Terry Taylor.

Looking forward to your venture into crochet.

Sewfast said...

Good job!!! I have been crocheting since I was a little girl...my Grandma taught me when I was really little and I never appreciated what a feat that was til I tried to teach my daughter (who is 27 and still can't crochet!) I will check my books and get back to you on resources. I may even send you some books! Mary

Bald Man said...

And they dont make crochet Machines...Whew!! :)

Love Ya

Bald man

alethia said...

Congratulations, you got it. The source for beginner crochet patterns is the internet, Google " free crochet patterns for beginners". The internet is loaded with tons of crochet and knitting patterns for all levels

Alexandra said...

Congratulations! You could try Ravelry.com for patterns and photos of finished objects.

Julia said...

Wow!! This is great!!! You are amazingly quick at learning new things.
I know, basically , how to knit and crochet, but I don't know how to read a pattern with all the abbreviations and terms I don't know. If you find a really good, but simple book, let me know. I also don't like knitting needles. I have arthritis in my hands and it hurts to use them. I just pray it doesn't get so bad that I can't sew at all. I just have to stop occasionally and let them rest when I'm doing hand work.

Sewfast said...

Angelia...tell the Bald Man they do make knitting machines...He He He... Mary@I'mrunning4cover.squeal

Angelia said...

Yeah he knows about knitting machines! I want one but there's no one around here to show me how to use it!!
I'll make up for it with a huge yarn stash!!!